Medicare 101 session set for Nov. 8, Navigating Medicare appointments available


By Christina Knoell and Kay Kaylor

Special to The PREVIEW

Medicare is complicated. It is important that you know your rights, options, deadlines, possible penalties and where to find the information you need.

Did you know that assistance is available in Pagosa Springs through the nationwide State Health Insurance Program (SHIP)? Trained and certified Medicare counselors are available by appointment to guide you when dealing with Medicare enrollment, questions and problems.

One of the San Juan Basin Area Agency on Aging (SJBAAA) volunteer Medicare counselors, Katy Deshler, will offer a free Medicare 101 class Thursday, Nov. 8, in the Ruby M. Sisson Memorial Library to help you get started. The class will start at 10:30 a.m. and will run until around noon. Please call Kay at 264-0501, ext. 1, to reserve your spot because space is limited.

Medicare help has been offered in Archuleta County at the Senior Center for almost 15 years. SJBAAA is the sponsoring agency for free Medicare counseling services at the Pagosa Springs Senior Center (the west end of the Ross Aragon Community Center). On most Mondays, called Medicare Monday, counselors are available by appointment. Counseling occurs on additional days during the annual Part C and D Open Enrollment Period, Oct. 17-Dec. 7, and sometimes by phone or appointment on other days.

Please call the phone number above to make an appointment or to ask questions. Some SJBAAA counselors are also trained as Senior Medicare Patrol counselors, and they can help with possible health care fraud, errors and abuse.

Medicare eligibility begins at age 65 unless you are younger and have been on disability for almost two years. Three months before (and until three months after) your birth month, you can enroll in Medicare and start making decisions about your options. Some of the questions you need to consider follow:

• Are you eligible for Medicare Part A and Part B? Do you need both?

• Do you have a retirement plan that will work with Medicare?

• Do you want a Medicare supplement (also called Medigap)?

• Would you prefer coverage through a Medicare Advantage plan or cost plan?

• Do you want a Part D drug plan to avoid a monthly penalty? If so, which plan would work best for you? This varies depending on which drugs you take.

• Do you qualify for help with Part B or D premiums?

Generally, you can enroll in Medicare online at or by calling the Social Security Administration in Durango, (888) 472-6115. If you are already receiving a Social Security check, you will be automatically enrolled in Part A and Part B, but you will need to enroll in Part D and Part C or supplements yourself. You can also find valuable information at

If you are already on Medicare and have a Part D drug plan or a Part C supplement, you need to review that plan each year during the Open Enrollment Period because plan premiums and coverage of drugs change each year. Medicare counselors can help you during that time, or you can go to to review your plan.

If you are receiving Social Security disability, you will probably be eligible for Medicare starting 23 months after your disability begins and will have a limited period to enroll in a Part D drug plan. It is important to know all enrollment deadlines to avoid penalties. Also, depending on your income and assets, you may be eligible for Extra Help with drug plans or Medicare Savings Programs for Part B.