- Arts & Entertainment
- Photo and Video
The Pagosa Pirate track team performed well at the Intermountain League meet last Saturday in Alamosa.
“We had some great performances this weekend,” coach Connie O’Donnell wrote in an email to The SUN. “It was a bit windy, but that didn’t seem to interfere with anything.”
In addition to performing well this week, several athletes secured their spots in the upcoming state competition, which begins today, May 15, and goes through Saturday, May 17, in Lakewood.
“We are really looking forward to this weekend,” O’Donnell stated. “The weather is supposed to get better and after the competition at the league meet, I believe that we are setting up nicely to perform our best at the state track meet.”
Competing at state this weekend, from the girls’ team, are: Madi Lewis in the 400 meter dash; Emily Bryant in the 1,600 meter run; Taylor Strohecker in the high jump, attempting to earn her third state championship in the event; and Payton Shahan in the triple jump.
The following girls’ relay teams will also be competing at state: the 4 x 200 team of Taylor Lee-Hammer, Lewis, Shahan and Strohecker; the 4 x 400 team of Taylor Jones, Lee-Hammer, Lewis and Remy Oney; and the 4 x 800 team of Bryant, Meghan Ellis, Lee-Hammer and Lewis.
Representing the boys’ team at state are: Tate Drane and Nick Hutcherson in the 400 meter dash; Drane in the 800 meter run; Mason Chronowski and David McRee in the high jump; Chronowski in the triple jump; Creede Wylie in the shot put and discus; and the 4 x 800 relay team of Drane, Tyler Greenly, Hutcherson and McRee.
The majority of Pagosa’s state qualifying athletes will compete in their events today. The schedule can be found at chsaanow.com.
The Pirates’ results from the league meet are listed below.
• 100 meter dash — McKayla Miller placed fourth at 14.48; Megan Farrah came in eighth at 14.80.
• 200 meter dash — McKayla Miller placed sixth at 30.90, with Sydney Mogensen coming in a second later in ninth at 31.90.
• 400 meter dash — Lewis took second place at 1:00.09; Kori Mogensen came in 10th at 1:09.98.
• 800 meter run — Alexa Alexander placed fourth at 2:53.88, with Andie Miller coming in sixth at 3:01.45.
• 1,600 meter run — Bryant took second place at 5:43.67, Alexander was sixth at 6:41.91 and Jordyn Martinez was seventh at 6:45.98.
• 3,200 meter run — Bryant finished second at 12:35.12; Delaney Khung was fifth at 15:00.98.
• 100 meter hurdles — Sydney Mogensen came in ninth at 21.04.
• 300 meter hurdles — Lee-Hammer captured first at 50.75.
• 4 x 200 meter relay — Pagosa’s team of Lee-Hammer, Lewis, Shahan and Strohecker came in second at 1:50.14.
• 4 x 400 — Jones, Lee-Hammer, Lewis and Oney came second at 4:26.63.
• 4 x 800 — Pirates Bryant, Lee-Hammer, Lewis and Ellis took first 10:17.31.
• 800 sprint medley — Pagosa’s team of Nicole Jurcak, McKayla Miller, Kori Mogensen and Sydney Mogensen came in fourth at 2:09.26.
• High jump — Strohecker captured first place at 5-02; Jurcak was fourth at 4-04.
• Long jump — Shahan took second place at 15-03, Oney tied for fifth at 14-02 and Kori Mogensen came in ninth at 13-02.
• Triple jump — Shahan captured first place at 33-05.50; Jones came in sixth at 26-06.00.
• Shot put — Morgan Schaaf came in sixth at 27-02.50 and McKayla Miller was eighth at 26-05.00.
• Discus — Schaaf placed fourth at 94-02.
• 100 meter dash — Tyler Cowan came in ninth at 12.84, Mason Brown came in 11th at 12.86 and Gus Palma came in 13th at 13.17.
• 200 meter dash — Jeremiah Miller placed third at 24.94, Cowan came in sixth at 26.19 and Brown was eighth at 26.42.
• 400 meter dash — Drane dominated, coming in first at 52.42, Hutcherson came in third at 54.46 and Greenly came in fifth at 55.99.
• 800 meter run — Ben Miller took second at 2:15.99, Liam O’Brien came in fourth at 2:21.08 and Tavin Hauger came in fifth at 2:23.88.
• 1,600 meter run — O’Brien captured second place at 5:08.66, Hauger came in fifth at 5:27.15 and Jacob Hughes came in sixth at 5:29.61.
• 3,200 meter run — O’Brien was fourth at 12:15.07, Hughes was fifth at 12:15.26 and Nick Cronon was eighth at 12:45.03.
• 300 meter hurdles — McRee came in second at 44.32 and Skylar Goldberg came in fifth at 49.35.
• 4 x 100 meter relay — The Pirate team of Mathew Breman, Drane, Jeremiah Miller and John Parsons took third at 47.28.
• 4 x 200 meter relay — Breman, Drane, Jeremiah Miller and Parsons came together again to take third at 1:36.27.
• 4 x 400 — The team of Drane, Greenly, Hutcherson and McRee came in third at 3:40.59.
• High jump — Chronowski captured first in the event with a height of 6-04.
• Long jump — Breman placed fourth at 19-00, Jeremiah Miller tied for sixth at 17-02 and Cowan tied for 10th at 16-06.
• Triple jump — Breman captured second place in the event at 38-07.50; Chronowski was close behind in third at 38-07.00.
• Shot put — Wylie continues to dominate the event, placing first at 46-03.
• Discus — Wylie came in second at 137-01; Parsons was ninth at 99-05.