Be careful

Dear Editor:

I am writing this in hope that others will not have to go through what we just went through. About 5 p.m. Thursday, our little dog had a seizure. It was very bad and I thought she was dead, but she came around a little and we rushed her to the vet. Our dog had two seizures at the clinic, so the doctor took her home for the night with him, where she suffered more and died about 3 a.m. The doctor checked her the next day and found she had eaten a part of a chipmunk, which had been poisoned. I cannot tell you the pain we have gone through. This dog never met a person she didn’t like and she never left our yard. She was found on a county road in Texas and had to fend for food, so she would eat anything.

Those of you who must kill chipmunks need to know that you can easily kill other people’s pets and those pets are our kids.

Earlier this summer, our outside cat had a seizure and we took her to the vet. We thought it was just old age, but now I feel sure it was the same thing. She didn’t eat for days, but seems okay now.

Dick Potticary

This story was posted on August 1, 2013.