Today’s first old Pagosa Country pioneer is C.H. Freeman. Freeman was born In Hancock County, Ill., in 1863 to Henry E. and Sarah E. (Melvin) Freeman. The family moved to Colorado Springs in 1870 where they were prominent in business circles. In 1877, before Fort Lewis was built in Pagosa Springs, he moved with them to Pagosa Springs. The family homesteaded on Yellow Jacket Creek along the old road to Animas City.
The Freemans were cattle ranchers, operated a retail business, and were otherwise heavily involved in the local community. In 1886, he married Catherine Rogers of Delta County, Colo. In 1889-1890, he served a term as county clerk and recorder. He passed away at the home of his daughter in National City, Calif., in June of 1946.
Mrs. H.E. Freeman, wife of Henry E. Freeman of Leadville and owner of the Freeman Block on Pike’s Peak Avenue in Colorado Springs, died in Colorado Springs in August of 1893.
William Everett “Bud” Farrow, a former owner and publisher of the Pagosa Springs SUN, became associated with the Pagosa Publishing Company in 1908 and disposed of the company to J.A. Wiseman March 14, 1919, While living in Pagosa Springs, he also operated an assay office. He came to Colorado about 1870 from Illinois, his birth state. He also operated a newspaper in Monte Vista, Colo.. From 1917 until 1921, he represented Archuleta County in the Colorado House of Representatives. He died March 21, 1941.
Orville S. Galbreath Sr. was born near Nashville, Tenn., Dec. 22, 1846. He was admitted to the bar on June 1, 1868, after receiving an education from Cumberland University. He was the oldest living member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity at the time of his death in May of 1942. With his family, he moved to Durango in 1881 where he lived with his family until moving to Tacoma, Wash., in 1912.
Orville Galbreath Jr. was born Feb. 13, 1873, near Nashville, Tenn., to O.S. Galbreath Sr. He moved from Pagosa Springs to Durango with his parents in 1882 and in 1898 moved to the San Luis Valley where he engaged in the lumber business. He was also engaged for ten years in the lumber business in Archuleta County. In August of 1934, he was swept from a bridge in South Fork, Colo., and drowned.
John H. Galbreath, the son of O.S. Galbreath Sr., was a longtime Archuleta County resident and district court judge. He passed away in Durango in 1969. Galbreath attended Durango High School, the University of Denver, and Vanderbilt University. He was admitted to the Colorado bar in 1911 and practiced law in Pagosa Springs for 37 years, being the town attorney for 30 years and the county attorney for 22 years. He returned to Durango in 1948 and was appointed judge of the Sixth Judicial District in 1953.