We continue with our list of select early Pagosa Country settlers.
Robert Lee Ewell was born in Vernon County, Mo., April 23, 1863, and died Feb. 22, 1933. In 1887, at Nevada, Mo., he married Miss Pattie Easter and moved to Chromo in Archuleta County Feb. 4, 1890. He was active in county politics and served as a county commissioner.
Rocky Mountain Farrow was born Sept. 27, 1877, on the Pine River above today’s Bayfield. His parents were Mr. and Mrs. Mason Farrow. The Farrows were early settlers of the Far West during the early gold mining days. They went to California in response to the gold rush there, then returned to Colorado when gold was discovered west of Denver. From Denver they are said to have traveled by foot and horseback to the San Juan gold fields. Mason finally took a homestead on the Piedra River at the mouth of Yellow Jacket Creek where the road to Durango crossed that river. They were among the earliest settlers in Archuleta County where they raised cattle and were prominent in county affairs. The Farrows only recently left the old homestead on the Piedra, but direct descendants remain in the Pagosa Springs area. Rocky died in November of 1957.
Amy Judith Hammond Farrow was born April 12, 1886, in a log cabin north of Bayfield. She married Rocky Mountain Farrow.
Mrs. Bertha Farrow, nee Bates, was the daughter of pioneer parents Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Bates who came to the San Juan Basin in 1877. She died Aug. 1, 1958.
Mrs. Hulda Farrow, nee Hulda Bates, died in Baker, Ore., in 1957. She was the youngest of 10 children born of pioneers in the Pine River (now Bayfield) area. She married Richard Farrow.
Fisher, Dr. Mary Winter was born Feb. 10, 1867, at Lewiston, Ill. She died May 30, 1928. She attended Rush Medical College in Chicago from which she graduated with a degree of Doctor in Medicine. She began the practice of medicine in Lewiston and later came to La Jara, Colorado, where she completed teaching a term of public school that her sister had begun.
Following completion of the school term, she crossed the mountains at Cumbres Pass and located in Pagosa Springs where she began practicing her profession in 1895. She soon formed a partnership with P.J. Fisher in a drugstore with the firm name of Winter & Fisher and in 1902 they married. Although not among the earliest doctors in the Pagosa Springs area, Dr. Mary was held in high esteem by the community and also by her peers in the medical profession. She never failed to make house calls, no matter the distance, whether day or night, her horse-drawn buggy often driven by her husband.
Phidelo J. Fisher, the husband of Dr. Mary Fisher, was born in 1846 in Homer, Mich., and moved to Denver, Colo., in 1872. He moved to Pagosa Springs in 1894, where he established a clothing business. Later, he started a drug store in partnership with Dr. Mary Winter and they subsequently married in 1902. He served at least part of a term as Pagosa Springs town marshal but is said to have resigned because of the rigors of that trade in “this frontier town.”