The Pagosa Ranger District of the San Juan National Forest provides free, entertaining, interpretive and informational programs for the public at various times and locations during the summer.
Please join Donovan and Jill Porterfield for a Kids’ Walk in the Woods, kids of all ages, on Thursday, June 14, from 10 a.m. to noon. All children must be accompanied by an adult. We will explore the trees, plants and wildlife of the forest with activities for kids of all ages. Wear walking shoes or boots, dress appropriately for the weather and bring drinking water. Also, bring a lunch if you would like to join Donovan and Jill for a picnic afterwards. To participate in the Kids’ Walk in the Woods, take Piedra Road north off of U.S. 160 for about 5.5 miles. Park at the first parking lot on your left immediately after you go over the cattle guard and the pavement ends.
Additional walks are planned on the district this season; call for more information, or look in The Pagosa Springs SUN:
• Thursday, June 21, from 9 a.m. to noon — A Geology Tour of Ice Cave Ridge with Rick Stinchfield and Phyllis Wheaton (this walk may be re-scheduled due to Little Sand Fire).
• Wednesday, June 27, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. — Arborglyphs: A Walk Through Aspen Groves with Peggy Bergon. This walk must be signed up for in advance. Please call the Pagosa Ranger District at 264-2268 to sign up.
• Thursday, July 12 , 10 a.m. until noon — A Family Walk in the Woods with Jill and Donovan Porterfield.
• Friday, July 13, 9 a.m. to noon — Wildflowers of the Continental Divide Trail with Susan Dussell. This walk must be signed up for in advance. Please call the Pagosa Ranger District to sign up.
• Thursday, July 19, 9 to 11:30 a.m. — Walking Tour of the Historic Provancher Homestead with Phyllis Wheaton.
• Thursday, July 26, from 9 to 11 a.m. — Walking Tour of the Turkey Springs Guard Station with Phyllis Wheaton. For more information, contact Pagosa Ranger District at 264-2268.