Community United Methodist Church Missions Group is putting together UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) Supply Kits to help care for the most vulnerable people during times of crisis.
They also help to sustain everyday life by providing basic necessities to people who lack ready access to essential supplies. These kits provide vital support for the work UMCOR does throughout the world.
By donating kit supplies or financial gifts to purchase the supplies, you make a direct, tangible difference in sustaining people’s lives. We need the community’s help gathering the supplies for these kits.
These kits are only distributed throughout the United States.
The Cleaning Buckets provide supplies to enable people to begin the overwhelming job of cleaning up after a flood or hurricane. The goal is to gather enough supplies to provide 50 buckets to UMCOR by the end of May. These are the items:
Cleaning Bucket kit items, value $55 per bucket.
• 5-gallon bucket with resealable lid.
Buckets from fast-food restaurants or bakeries can be used if washed and cleaned.
Do not use buckets that have stored chemicals, such as paint or pool cleaner.
Advertisements on the outside are acceptable.
• Liquid laundry detergent (two 25 oz. or one 50 oz. bottles only).
• Liquid household cleaner, 12- to 16-ounce liquid cleaner that can be mixed with water; no spray cleaners.
• Dish soap, 16- to 28-ounce bottle, any brand.
• One can air freshener, aerosol or pump.
• One insect repellent spray, 6- to 14-ounce aerosol spay pump with protective cover.
• One handheld scrub brush, plastic or wooden handle; no toilet-bowl brushes, no kitchen or dish brushes.
• 18 cleaning wipes, Handi Wipes or reusable wipes, no terry cleaning towels; remove from packaging.
• Seven sponges; no cellulose sponges due to mold issue.
• Five scouring pads, remove from wrapper; no Brillo, SOS pads or any kind that will rust.
• 50 clothespins; remove from packaging.
• Clothesline, two 50-foot or one 100-foot, cotton or plastic.
• 24-roll heavy duty trash bags, 30-45 gallon size; remove from the box.
• Five dust masks.
• Two pair disposable kitchen gloves, rubber or latex; remove from packaging.
• One pair work gloves, leather palm necessary.
All items must be new except for the actual bucket and lid.
All cleaning agents must be liquid and in plastic containers. No powders, please.
If you cannot find the requested size of a liquid item, use a smaller size. Including larger sizes of any item will prevent the lid from sealing.
Cleaning buckets are only used within the United States. They are not opened to verify the contents unless there is indication some items have been omitted.
We have a rare opportunity to have these buckets shipped for free. These buckets weigh 66 pounds; the fee for shipping these buckets can be considerable. In order to have them shipped for free, we must have the items and buckets prepared to ship by June 10. If you have any of these items you’d like to donate, bring them by the Community United Methodist Church on any Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. If you’d like to donate the funds to have a bucket made for you, the value is $55 per kit. If you have any questions, call Michelle, 946-1897.
We are also working on birthing kits. These kits provide the essential items to promote a safe, clean delivery and to encourage good aftercare. For more information on how you can help with the birthing kits, please contact Michelle at 946-1897.
Some of those items will include: one bar of soap, one pair latex rubber gloves, one square yard of clear 4 mil plastic sheeting (no trash bags and shower curtains), cotton string (no yarn), one single edge razor blade (covered in paper or cardboard for safety), two receiving blankets 30x30 or 32x32 size, one plastic bag. All items must be new; do not wash them as they will be considered used. As before, if you would like to donate any and or all of these items, either drop them off at the Community United Methodist Church or call Michelle, 946-1897. If you would like to donate funds for these items, the value is $8 per kit.