An Aspen Springs family arrived home Monday night to find their residence surrounded by firefighters.
The residence, a small camping trailer, on Far View Drive in Aspen Springs 6, was lost to the fire. No people were injured during the incident.
The camping trailer belonged to Calvin and Latasha Voss, who lived in it with their three young children, said Pagosa Fire Protection District Chief Ron Thompson.
Various neighbors of the property called the fire into Archuleta County Combined Dispatch beginning shortly after 5:15 p.m.
Due to icy roads and a lack of proper directions, fire district personnel arrived on scene at about 5:55 p.m., Thompson said.
“No one gave us definitive information as to where it was until 5:52, Thompson said. Smoke from the blaze could be seen from the intersection of U.S. 160 and North Pagosa Boulevard as the fire district responded.
After arriving, personnel found little in the way of hope.
“There was really nothing to save on our arrival,” Thompson said, adding that the residence was likely lost before fire personnel left the station to respond.
“You could just tell from the smoke,” Thompson said.
With temperatures hovering around 0 degrees, Thompson said the fire department also faced issues of water valves freezing, but were not prevented from considering the fire out at about 8:25 p.m., when they began their cleanup operation.
At least one family pet perished in the fire.
Two cats and a dog that were kept outside survived and the family reported that three dogs were in the trailer.
One dog was found deceased after the fire was put out, though the final two were not found.
Though only speculation, Thompson said the fire could have started through a combination of the animals inside the trailer and multiple heating sources used in the trailer.
Thompson said the camping trailer was heated via propane, generator and solar.
Thompson said the family declined assistance by the Red Cross at the scene, but had accepted help from the group Tuesday morning.
Thompson said the family was staying with relatives in Durango.