The 2009 Integrated Resource Management Red Books are now available at the Extension Office for $5.
These books contain gestation tables, death loss code, salving ease score, pasture usage, breeding and herd management information, tables and places to record information, along with a yearly calendar and place for address or phone numbers.
Are you prepared?
The next time disaster strikes, you may not have much time to act.
Prepare now for a sudden emergency. Learn how to protect yourself and cope with disaster by planning ahead.
This checklist will help you get started. Discuss these ideas with your family then prepare your plan of action.
Before an emergency
• Learn about the threats and hazards in your area and possible evacuation routes.
• Know the location of utility shutoffs (water, electric, gas, propane).
• Make special provisions for children, seniors, people with disabilities, livestock, pets, etc.
• Put together a 72-hour emergency kit for your home and all vehicles. Visit www.archuleta.colostate.edu for a detailed list of kit items.
• Learn about emergency warnings in your area. At-risk citizens or those with special needs should register with the county for assistance and information through the Senior Center at (970) 264-2167. Register cell phones and VoIP numbers for Code RED™ emergency notification at www.archuletacounty.org.
• Consider a safe alternative heat source for possible emergencies.
During an emergency
• Keep fire hydrants, gas and propane meters clear of snow.
• Listen to a battery powered radio for evacuation information. Tune into KWUF 1400 AM or KSUT 91.3 FM for emergency updates.
• Utilize a communication tree and check on your neighbors; utilize nonverbal signals like flags in rural areas.
• Be patient. We live in a remote mountainous community with a variety of possible weather issues (winter storms, floods, avalanches, landslides and wildfires). It will take time to gain access to certain subdivisions and areas of the county.
Nov. 14 — 1:45 p.m., Cloverbuds.
Nov. 14 — 2:15 p.m., Wolf Creek Wonders Club meeting.
Nov. 17. — 6:30 p.m., Back Country Horsemen.
Nov. 18 — 6 p.m., 4-H Council.
Nov. 19 — 10 a.m., Mountain High Gardeners meeting.
Check out our Web page at www.archuleta.colostate.edu for calendar events and information.