Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

64th anniversary of Red Ryder Roundup Rodeo

By Lisa Scott
Special to The SUN

Join the fun as cowboys and cowgirls from various states compete for prizes and prize money at this year’s Red Ryder Roundup Rodeo.

The rodeos are Thursday, July 4, at 2 p.m., Friday, July 5, at 7 p.m., and Saturday, July 6, at 2 p.m. — presented at the Western Heritage Event Center arena and grounds.

The Red Ryder Rodeo Committee is bringing a Nashville band to town for two concerts, July 4 and 6, at 6 p.m. in the rodeo arena.

McKenzies Mill is causing quite a buzz in Nashville. They have been called “country,” they have been called “rock n’ roll,” and are characterized by their electrifying rock and roll stage presence, small town southern stories, and their undeniable sibling harmonies.

Tickets for both events are available at Goodman’s Department Store, Wyndham Activities Center, and at the gate prior to the event. More rodeo and concert information is available by calling 264-2730.

This year marks the 64th anniversary of the Red Ryder Roundup Rodeo. While there were rodeos in Pagosa Springs dating back to the beginning of the last century, the first Red Ryder Roundup Rodeo was held in 1949.

In 1948, a group of local ranchers organized an effort to start a regular named rodeo series for this town. The initial group of volunteers included Glen Edmonds, Fred Harman, Daily Hott, Leon Montroy, Terry Robinson and Babe Shahan, to name a few. They collaborated with the owner of the rights to the Red Ryder registered trademark to brand this rodeo with the cartoon character that is so famous in this region. In 1949, the first rodeo was held at the site of the current Ross Aragon Community Center. Photographs show how automobiles were placed in a large circular formation to create the boundary of the rodeo arena. Spectators stood behind the cars.

Later that year, the committee advertised and sold stock in the rodeo organization, named Pagosa Springs Enterprises, and raised $15,000. With these proceeds, approximately 40 acres of land were purchased for the express purpose of hosting the annual rodeo. That initial site continues as the current facility on the corner of U.S. 84 and Mill Creek Road.

Construction of a rodeo arena with wood boards and woven wire was accomplished just prior to the 1950 Red Ryder Roundup Rodeo. Over time, the structures that exist on the rodeo grounds today were constructed as additional stock was sold for the purpose of raising money and creating a supporting membership.

For more than 60 years, this organization has been run by dedicated local volunteers, funded with individual and business donations from the local community, and continues to be an independent, self-sustaining and successful entity.

In the mid-1990s, the organization obtained its non-profit status and was renamed the Western Heritage Event Center, whose mission is to provide an annual three-day Red Ryder Roundup Rodeo, as well as a year-round venue for education and training for youth and equestrian events for Archuleta County. The Western Heritage board is dedicated to preserving the history and traditions of the American West.

This story was posted on June 6, 2013.